My Berkelah trip...
All of us focused on Moon, she looked as thought she has some difficulty, then out of a sudden, she slipped and fell...then she hit the rocks, legs first, then landed on another rock, then rolled off into the water. We were all stunned. She surfaced after a while and we heaved a sigh of relief...then after that she shouted for help...and some guys on the other bank went to her rescue...and dragged her onto the shore...but everywhere was slippery and we slipped and waddled between both banks of the river to pass first aid kits and sticks that we could find, so that we could immobilise her legs and to make a stretcher.
Finally, it took 12 of us to put her on the makeshift stretcher and bring her across the water to the other side. All the while, we were all about to sink cos' there was no foothold. We managed to get her to a grass patch and treated her there. Then we contacted our liasion person in Singapore who helped us called the Malaysian police. We were told at first that it would be a helicopter evacuation...then while waiting...it turned out that the helicopter would not be coming...
We made the rest descend to our base camp while a few of us stayed with her at the summit. I was the only gal who stayed with her, plus 4 more other guys. The police sent a search and rescue team up. It was hell of a big group...there were police and 2 seach and rescue teams from Pahang and Kuantan...suddenly, the whole place was bustling with people. Got diver, video and camera crew, medic, commander, and his whole Bomba (name of the rescue team) platoon. Felt almost like we were in the middle of filming something...coz' they were like taking photos and video all the way....it was funny at points in time coz' these people seemed to be taking it as a learning experience, bringing all the younger guys to learn the ropes of rescuing...
We sent 2 guys down to our base camp to collect some food and tents and clothing. Tried to make Moon comfortable with my thermarest, windbreaker, sleeping bag and pillow... Was shivering with cold everytime the cold downdraft wind brought waterspray from the waterfall, waking me and I was shivering all over. Couldn't sleep coz' it was so bloody cold. I went to stand beside the fire which the rescuers built. Stand and sleep loh...then really like going to fall while standing and sleeping, got fedup and went back to sleep next to Moon. The cold was unbearable, so I stood up and went back to the fire and stood there... Went back to sleep after some time again and was really shivering...so went back to the fire. The rescuers asked if I was ok...coz' I was hugging my knees with my hood over my head and head down. They thought I was crying at some point in time. Told them that I was really really cold loh... Eventually, I found this rock beside the fire and fell asleep there....
When morning broke, we broke camp and cleared all the stuff coz' the helicopter would be coming. Hearing the sound of a helicopter in the forest was like salvation for us. The helicopter was actually doing a survey of the area...then some time later, a helicopter appeared through the trees. It was really like a scene from Jurassic Park. The helicopter hovered above where the river dropped off, making it more dramatic. Haha! Then the door opened and this guy propelled down. Waaaa.....really cool man. Then he came down and secured Moon and then she was being raised up. The poor only guy in the helicopter was having a hard time trying to drag her in. Then the helicopter flew away. Then I was thinking...waliew!! Then still got the guy who propelled down leh?!?!?! He was still with us with his helmet and stuff...then I stupidly asked my friend if he's going to trek down with us with his helmet.
We waited again, then a 2nd helicopter appeared. I was told to board the helicopter to go to the hospital. Ok loh... Waaaa...first time boarding a helicopter wohhhh....free of charge somemore!!! hahaha....I'm not riding on somebody's else's misfortune lah....but...really mah....so many treks hor...which one actually so serious until really evacuate by helicopter??? Last time only say say when we climb until legs cannot move anymore "oi...call helicopter come and rescue me leh." kind of thing only....
So I boarded the helicopter loh...wa!! so cool!!!! Then the friendly guys on board asked questions to entertain me lah...very nice chaps lah....we flew to the airbase to refuel first. Then saw the Royal helicopter there...only heard from the liasion officer-Ah Boy (she went to Kuantan immediately when she got the news) that the Sultan of Kuantan knew about the incident and wanted to fly there himself. Fwah!!!!! Got this kind of sultan, sure vote for him to be prime minister!!!!! Then after refuelling, we flew to the hospital. Wa phiang...really cool man...go to hospital by helicopter...first time landed on a helipad. Heehee....cooooollllll.......
Then when I reached the hospital, got many old chaps in police uniform...looked like director leowz man...my director's rank got pineapple, this guy's got 2 swords one leh...the only 2 swords I know is from the PTI insignia...ok I shan't malu myself with all these rank stuff. But they sure look like big shots from all over... Then a reporter came and asked questions, and took a snapshot of me. I was stunned for a moment before Ah Boy told the reporter politely to leave me alone. When the video crew came, I ran for cover and went to hide in some ulu corner.
All in all, the Malaysians were really hospitable and friendly. :)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home