Sunday, June 11, 2006

My friend got married

Ya...all the fuss is over. My friend is married. I think the excitement comes from preparation for the wedding, then in a while, it was all over. They are married and have all the legal rights to have sex. Opps.

I remember when I was much younger and Tut and co. and I used to sit around cafes talking about life, romance, marriage and stuff. one of the common consensus was marriage was just a legal means to have sex. Come to think about, these days, you don't need to get married to have sex. Then get married for what?

Hmm. Good question. Need to be very clear about this point. Consider the following arguments :

1) Start a family - "families are the building blocks of society" (quote unquote from some Sociology textbook). It is pro-social and hey, most people dunno how to get things started, so why not get married to kick things off?

2) Please your family - imagine being pregnant in an Asian society without being married. Brings nothing but shame to the family. Anyway, any normal parents would want to see their kids grow up, get a job, then get married.

3) His money is my money, my money is still my money. I like this idea. Period.

4) [Damn it...I lost my train of thoughts cos' I thought my tour bus bringing the rest of the tour people from the mountains is back, and I was frantically waving. I'm not exactly excited to see them or anything. Just that the rest of my luggage is actually on board the tour bus. Just FYI, we broke off from the main group for 2 days to attend my friend's wedding, so now we are rejoining the group again. Cos' we had to take their public transport - KTX train, to save the trouble of having to heave bulky luggage up the train, we carried only the important stuff with us to Daegu (got the name of the city right. Yay!) Now we're back in Seoul.)

Anyway, since I lost my train of (pro-social, family builing) thoughts, I might as well talk abit on my observations here. 5* hotels are not that bad deal actually. The 5* hotel in Johor was like crumbling and falling apart. The 5* hotels here are like - you seen one, you've seen them all. Perhaps it is characteristic of 5* hotels to have a "waterfall" landscape feature facing the cafe/restaurant in each hotel. So far all of 'em have it.

Observation no. 2. Most Korean men look alike. That brings me back to the previous para whereby I was frantically waving at the tour bus with the Chan Brothers sign in front, when the my-tour-guide-look-alike hopped off. Malu.

Observation no. 3. People here seem unapologetic when they accidently bump into me. Strange. Talk about personal space. Bleah.

Observation no. 4. Korea is a beautiful country actually. Very clean too! Maybe because all that we have been visiting are the touristy places. Haha...especially Jeju Island! Really nice place...

Observation no. 5. Korean food is really healthy. Hardly any oil!!! I like Korean food! Yum yum!

Ok, now the right tour bus is back and the people on board just waved at me. Great! My luggage is back.

5 Comments:

At 11:22 pm, Blogger wee said...

The journey towards marriage is one of the toughest and it is by no means easy. I know of some couple who decided to split as they finally see each other's tru colours under the pressure.

Family expectations, your own expectations, your assumption and his...it's a gigantic test. There are some who still made it but ended up hating each other's parents (their in-laws)...

Talk to your parents and sisters first...see their reaction...his reaction to their reaction...his family's reaction towards you and your chemistry with them.

Ultimately marriage is not between 2 persons but between 2 families.

Just keep this in mind, no men is worth falling out with your family over.

 
At 10:46 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well said!!! "no men is worth falling out with ur family over." :) wahhh

 
At 8:59 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sex? WHAT sex???!! Arrggh!!!! - Pinpin in vn

 
At 9:31 pm, Blogger laihsia said...

hahaha....Pin, you in Vietnam now ah???

 
At 12:38 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah.. coming home soon, for now.. may head off somewhere else soon.. life's a journey for me(and my beloved wife + family) never know where i am heading off next.. =p pin, mission accomplished..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home