Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Day 9 (Round island - Phuket)

Distance : 87.5km

Terrain : Walls (crazy slopes were so steep that I think they shld be walls and not slopes)

Ryan left on Sunday, Eddie and Vincent left on Monday, Yun went to Phi Phi and Eng Lock checked into a hotel in Patong (well well...), so Bruce, Yong Siew and I decided to take our bikes and ride around Phuket after we returned from Similan. I was contemplating whether to go or not or just bum around and go for Thai massage. Bruce said it was only 30km one way, so it didn't sound that difficult.

Alas!! The slopes were killers. Each headland = 1 major hill and I gave up trying to ride up, so ended pushing bike. Was wearing sleeveless without sunblock, and by the time we reached Promthep Cape, I was already burnt. The journey back was miserable once again cos' I was baking and burning under the sun. Now I'm red as a lobster. :(











Five of us finally met up again in the evening. It was eventful cos' the restaurant that we patronised ran out of rice. Haha! Dunno why the rest are so frustrated when it comes to small things like that. I mean, yahh..we're a bit hungry but what's the point of scolding the poor waitress for not bringing the rice before the dishes? Anyway, Bruce couldn't stand Eng Lock and both of them started attacking what the other was saying.

Eng Lock was saying about staying in Patong is better cos' it's nearer to the pubs. Then Bruce asked "so did you check if your wallet was still there when you woke up?" I found it quite funny lah... I mean, it was quite original and sarcastic at the same time mah. Of course Eng Lock didn't find that funny... Of course it didn't stop there. After dinner, we walked past a table with all the seafood laid out on the table, and a guy was barbequing the food. He called out something to us. Couldn't quite catch what he was saying cos' of Thai accent.

Yun : Did he say massage??
Yong Siew : No no!! He was asking us if we wanted catfish!
Yun : No leh?? I heard him asking us if we wanted massage but howcome massage at this hour???
Bruce : Maybe they call their Thai chickens catfish and he's asking you (Eng Lock) if you wanted some!

In fact, it went on and on until the next morning when we were in the cab on our way to the airport, in the airport, and so on...Anyway, both of them, together with 8 other people (not including me of course) will be cycling from Phuket to Bangkok come December. I give them my blessings.... :D

It was overall, quite a nice trip. Tested my endurance more than anything. Total distance on bike - 632.93km. Total amount spent = :~(

Going to keep my cycling shoes away for a while....for now........

2 Comments:

At 2:19 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhhh... I've always wished to take a bike trip. But no courage to attempt... I think I will peng-san after 100km!

Cher

 
At 8:03 pm, Blogger laihsia said...

Haha...it's not that tough leh. I usually space out after 10km or so...then every 30km stop for water break. Then after 3 to 4 stops reach leowz. :)

If compare work and cycling, think push bike up Himalayas I also dun mind...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home