Was watching the video footage that dad recorded during the recee trip from Hatyai to Phuket and he mentioned that there are lots of long slopes along the route. Gulp! Then mum added, as usual, that I could always move my bike up the safety vehicle whenever I go up the slopes, then come down again when the slope dips. Duh! Then cycle for what?! Might as well dun ride and sit in car, saves the trouble of having to move a bike up and down. Then I asked jiejie if the other 9 cyclists are seasoned. She said they are and that I'm probably the weakest link. She suggested that I'd better condition my body for the ride.
Me? The weakest link? Perhaps it's time for me to empathise with the stragglers whom I've met in the past. Cycling is a simple equation. If I'm pissed or angry, I'd pound on the pedals and overtake the other cyclists. I used to think to myself when I overtake some of these people "Weren't you the one who gave me the "you-can-cycle?" look? Maybe I can't lah, it's just that you really suck at riding." or "Eat my dust." It feels good to overtake people and give them the "ei! Jia you! Don't slow down! We're reaching our next stop soon! Don't give up!". At their expense of course.
This happened until the Round Island Cycling event. I was pounding on the pedals for weeks, 150km each time and gradually my knee hurt. I went to see a sports doctor who diagnosed me with flat feet. She said that the cycling coupled with the running took a toll on my knees. Then I stayed off cycling ever since, more because I was in training school and I have been running so often that I think my legs need a break during the weekends.
In fact, even in training school, that negative energy was being transferred to running. Even though I hate running. Maybe that's how I got the Best PT in training school. Haha! Maybe Mr Tan was right. I am masochistic. I take all the frustrations and take it out on myself.
Now I'm going to be the weakest link?
Can't pound on the pedals cos' that won't last me till the end of the trip. Nonetheless, I'm not going up the safety vehicle. Riding used to be my pride and I'm not going to just give up.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home